11.23.2007

it wasn't my real house. I've never seen it before.

So there I was, hosting a party. A house party where, as most parties do, the number of people was steadily increasing. As the number of people was steadily increasing the number of people that I had not invited was dramatically increasing. There was little I could do. There had been some sort of ceremony near my house where people had been initiated into an anti-gravity religious sect. A cult if you will. Some of these people were friends and acquaintances that had apparently told me of this event in advance.
"Why, didn't you come?" they asked, "it was only a few blocks away." They wanted to make me feel bad like I had missed the concert of the century. But it wasn't a peer pressure thing. For some reason beyond my knowledge they felt that since I lived so close I was obligated to attend. To me it just seemed like hype. They all had much paler skin than I remembered. There were others that had come from another part of town. They sat socializing and playing board games. I was disinterested. I was growing claustrophobic, and had an overwhelming need to kick everyone the hell out. I looked at the calender hanging in my kitchen, full of drunk people. Wasn't my party supposed to be tomorrow night? One after another they brought up this life changing event. It seemed like it wasn't new to them, almost ritualistic . They had been touched by the hand of god and I had missed the boat.
"You see, it's a force stronger than gravity. The only reason we are here is because we focus so strongly on Earth and earthy possessions. Don't you see? Don't you get it?" Apparently I didn't. I was drunk. There were spilled drinks everywhere. I had carpet that in several spots was saturated with red wine.
"Come on man! Come with us! We're so close. Once you let go, gravity means nothing. Nothing can keep us here." For some reason I knew that this whole situation was not just smoke and mirrors. I had seen the lights down the street as people started showing up at my house. They stretched far off into the sky to some focal point that could not be seen with the naked eye.
"Get the fuck out of my house!" I screamed, "you guys have been duped by some stupid fucking aliens!" For some reason I was half naked and looking for the rest of my clothes. "This is no different than last time." I told them. They didn't get it. Why did everyone keep buying into this stupid kinda shit? I wasn't going, EVER.
A police car pulled into my driveway. I went out to assess the problem thinking most likely it was a noise complaint. "Sorry to inform you, the road is out. Everyone is going to have to stay here for now." the officer told me.
"What do you mean the road is out?" I asked. He stepped into the light and I looked at his face. It was beyond pale. Really a pale-blue. Small portions of his face were missing, revealing bits of muscle tissue and bone underneath. The cartilage over his right nostril was half gone.
"The anti-gravity took the road away. There is no other way out."
"Fuck...I guess it's a good thing I'm drunk." I replied.

1 comment: