1.17.2008

pong against the evil alliance of marine life

Alright, I have a confession to make. Like my dreams, this blog has become multi-themed and sometimes themeless...if that is possible. Even as the author I cannot label it with any consistent meaning or purpose. Deal with it. So here comes another review on an 8-bit game from an individual that knows nothing about reviews and an excess amount about shitty 8-bit games like Thunder and Lightning.

I remember this one as a child though I am sure a significant amount of people don't. This game was distributed by Romstar Inc. and developed by Visco Games. The arcade version differs quite drastically from the NES version I am used to but the basic concept is the same: keep the ball in the air. I am quite certain that it has been said before, if you are a fan of Pong, or maybe just really faded, you will love this game. I don't know the story behind your little guy with the Pong paddle and the big nose but he seems pretty cool. What turns the game into an all out action packed frenzy of goodness is the little submarine that swims by under the blocks you need to destroy. When the ball strikes the little thing it shits out a special tool or prize and you have to scamper to retrieve it while keeping the ball from hitting the bottom of your screen. It's a submarine pi
ñata. The trinkets include 1ups, a multi-ball feature and a bigger ball which destroys pretty much everything in it's path. Also there are different creatures (like the assholes with tentacles in each upper corner of the following picture) that try to obstruct your mission in a variety of ways.


This is a picture of the first level. I wanted to leave you in suspense and refrain from potentially ruining the game for you. Yeah, I know, just let me have my moment.

I am going to ruin one part for you. If you run out of lives like most games way back when you cannot continue on the level you have advanced to. Sadly the game starts over from the beginning and you throw the controller in frustration against the wall or floor, breaking it. Forced to retire, you snap back into the realization of your adult life. Tragic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never played that game, but the way you talk about it, damn it looks fun! Aside from the breaking the controller and me probably ending up sobbing in the corner droning on and on about how this game is just like everything else in my life and is the perfect example of my ruined childhood..........

......


yeah

-Jess